Saturday, June 18, 2011

My Dad



While on vacation a few weeks ago, I was lounging by the pool, reading my book and enjoying the beautiful day. I overheard a woman a few chairs down from me complaining to her girlfriend about her boyfriend and how there is no such thing as the "perfect man." Her friend aptly replied..."the only perfect man that exists is my dad." That really struck a chord in me. And I couldn't agree with her more.

I know everyone says their dad is the best dad, but my dad really is THE BEST Dad in the entire world. He's the guy that everyone wants to know and everyone wishes they were like. He can do anything. He plays the bagpipes; he sails; he trained for and ran the Mini-Marathon - multiple times; he buys my mom flowers every Friday, just because; he's a golfer; if you need advice - call my Dad; he's a wine enthusiast; you want to hear a joke - he's got jokes; if something is broken - he can fix it; he can mow his lawn like nobody's business; basically, he's Superman without the cape (I swear, and he even has a Superman t-shirt to prove it).

I can remember my dad always encouraging me and my siblings to do our best and to be our best. "Character," he would say "is doing the right thing when no one is watching." That can be applied to every situation in life, and I always strive to live by that.

My Dad is a great motivator. Growing up, my siblings and I always regarded him as our biggest fan and supporter. In soccer, he and I always used to have this ritual we'd do before every game - I'm not sure how or even when it started, but right before kick off, I would run up to him and we'd both give each other the thumbs-up sign and then mash our thumbs together - sort of like a high five but with thumbs. It was our little thing, and I always looked forward to it. In college, l went to an out of state school and continued to play soccer. It was tough being far from home, and even tougher during soccer games knowing my parents wouldn't be in the bleachers to cheer me on. In his absence, Dad would mail - not email, but mail - me quotes or sayings of encouragement. I would get these about four to five times a month. The quotes ranged from motivational to inspirational, to life lessons. I was always so excited when I would open my mailbox and see his letters....I kept every single one.

If you know my Dad, you know he has a soft side and a weakness for movies like 'Rudy,' his daughters' weddings and well.....us kids in general. After I completed my semester abroad in Scotland, my Dad and brother came to visit me. Dad took us to Ireland for a few days to visit Dublin, Cork, Kinsale, Blarney and Dungarven. While in Dungarven - a sleepy little coastal village - we were enjoying some pints at this little pub overlooking the Irish Sea. Dad had just completed the Mini-Marathon a month before and he was telling us all about it. He was on mile 9 and he was starting to get tired, every joint in his body ached and he felt like he couldn't go any further. Then, out of nowhere, this guy came up from behind him. Dad said this guy was just running along, breathing normally, like he hadn't already ran 9 miles. He nonchalantly said to my Dad, "We're almost there, keep going!" At this point in the story, my Dad's voice began to get shaky and his chin began to quiver. He had a few tears coming down his face. He said that it was because of those encouraging words from this perfect stranger that inspired him to keep going. Dad kept up with him for another mile or so and then noticed he was gone - thinking he must have fallen back a bit. Dad completed the 13.1 miles and as he crossed the finish line he looked around to find this guy and thank him and tell him good job. But he was nowhere to be found. Dad is sure that this man was his guardian angel. It is because of him and his words of encouragement that Dad got his second wind and finished. The motivator became the motivatee. This story is the epitome of who my dad is - sensitive and strong, humble and grateful.

Dad had little nicknames for us growing up. My brother Andy was 'Sport,' I was his 'Princess,' my sister Amy was 'Champ,' and my other sister Carolyn was 'Babycakes.' Each of our nicknames described each of us perfectly. It was as if Dad took as much care in inventing these names for us as he and my mom did the day we were born. I love that he called me his little Princess.

So, I guess it's fitting.....I married my Prince Charming, but my Dad will always be my King. And no matter how old I am, I will always be his little Princess.

Dad's are special, but my Dad is the exception. He is, the perfect man.

Happy Father's Day!!


"My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me."
- Jim Valvano

2 Comments:

Blogger Haley said...

Wow, what a moving tribute. Beautifully written! I'm happy to say that he was a part of my life for many years and know first hand what a great guy he is. Hope you and the family are all doing well. Take care!

Haley H.

June 18, 2011 at 11:28 PM  
Blogger jr said...

I'm reading with tears in my eyes. His cousin, Jan, thinks he's pretty close to the perfect guy too. He once said he wanted to marry a girl with long golden hair and shining eyes. Well, he not only did that, but he brought three more little girls into the world just as beautiful! And from your lovely tribute, I can see that he is just as great a dad as anyone could hope for. Why he's almost as special as my dad. Love and hugs to all!

June 19, 2011 at 4:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home