Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Edinburgh, Scotland


A piper playing just off Princes Street.


Dave and I headed north to Edinburgh for a long weekend. We've been talking about going for a while as it is my absolute favorite city in Great Britain. While a junior in college, I spent a semester at the University of Aberdeen and had visited Edinburgh a few times and loved it every time I went. The city is steeped in history - the volcanic rock where the castle stands has been a symbol of power for some 3,000 years! It's amazing to me to think of all the people who have passed through here and have stared at the same castle I did. But it's not just the castle I enjoy looking at and touring, it's the city in it's entirety. There are three sections that make up the city "old town," "new town," and "west end." We toured old town and new town.

While there, the wedding of the Queen's granddaughter, Zara Phillips took place - so the city was abuzz and only added to our excitement! Dave took Friday off work, and we woke up early, left the house by 7 and arrived in Edinburgh by noon. We stayed at the cutest B&B - Glenalmond House. It was a beautiful Victorian Era home owned by Jimmy and his wife Fiona. They were very welcoming and made us feel right at home.



Glenalmond was about a 25 minute walk or a 5 - 10 minute bus ride from the city centre. We walked back and forth the first day, but ended up buying an all day bus pass the second day (it saved our feet and also saved on time!).

So, after checking in we headed for the city centre. We were famished and found Deacon Brodie's Tavern on the Royal Mile. It's named after Deacon William Brodie, the man who inspired Robert Louis Stevenson's novel The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. We shared an order of fish and chips over a pint.



The Royal Mile

We of course had to partake in the Scotch Whisky Experience! It has been updated/remodeled since I was here 8 years ago and in 2009, they added the whisky collection of Diageo Claive Vidiz who collected whisky from all over the world for over 35 years. It was amazing - almost 3,500 bottles! I had to take a picture...or two!










Scott Monument


View of Edinburgh Castle from Princes Street.


Walking up to the castle entrance.





View from the top of the castle overlooking Princes Street.


Panoramic view


Calton Hill with the Firth of Forth in the background




Palace


Armory room/Great Hall


Palace Courtyard


Regimental pets' graveyard.


The One O'Clock Gun




Heading down to the castle prison











While looking for souvenirs, I saw a girl with an Albion College sweatshirt on! We were in the middle of a busy store and without even thinking I blurted out, "Do you go to Albion?!" She said she is a junior and is studying abroad at the university! We spoke briefly and she asked what year I graduated - I told her 2004 - and for the first time since graduating seven years ago - it finally hit me how long ago that really was!! I feel so old! I also found out that she is a fellow Alpha Chi. Anyway, small world!!

Our visit to Edinburgh was amazing. Everything about it - the air, the energy, the history and the people only solidified why I fell in love with this city to begin with 8 years ago. I can't wait to go back!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home