Tuesday, November 15, 2011

UK Drivers License

Driving in the UK over the past year has been quite a learning experience - driving on the wrong side of the road while seated on the right hand side of the car, to shifting gears with your left hand - it's definitely something that takes a little time getting used to.  The legal rule here in England is that if you are a non-EU full-time resident, you have twelve months to attain your UK drivers license.  Dave and I of course waited until the very last minute to do this!  Talk about pressure! 
The first step in attaining our UK license was to apply for a Provisional License - it's like a learner's permit - and you can't take the written test without it.  We had to fill out some forms and submit a passport photo (ours look like mugshots).  The other caveat - I had to submit our passports!  Not only was I worried about sending out these important documents, but Andy was coming to visit us and we were going to Paris and would obviously need them!  The application process apparently can take up to 4 weeks - 4 weeks!  We didn't have that!  Nevertheless, the applications HAD to go out.  I overnight-ed them and crossed my fingers.  Luckily enough, our brand new Provisional licenses as well as our passports were returned to us within a week and a half!  That's lightening speed in British terms!  They don't do anything fast here!   
After Andy's visit, Dave and I signed up to take the written test - the Theory test.  We purchased 'The Highway Code' and another book to learn the motorway rules, signs, speed limits, etc.  The test was two weeks away - November 1st - I studied the books - went through all 1,000 questions and felt confident I knew them all.  Dave on the other hand, studied the day of!  The Theory test was 50 multiple choice questions and Dave and I both scored a perfect 50 out of 50!  
It is highly recommended by Dave's company and I guess the UK government in general to take some driving lessons, even though we are already competent drivers in the States.  So I researched a few driving schools and found one - F-1 Driving School.  I set us up with one hour lessons each with a guy named Steve.  Dave and I were fine on the driving - just had some UK techniques to master - i.e. three-point turns, roundabouts and correct positioning, steering without removing your hands from the wheel, MSM - mirrors, signal, maneuver rule, and as a side note, if you stall the car or hit a curb, you automatically fail on test day.  I ended up taking two more hours of lessons with good 'ol Steve.  After what turned out to be my last lesson, I pulled into our driveway and we went over how I drove, etc. and he then starting chatting  about recipes and all things cooking.  After about twenty minutes I noticed it was already 5:00pm and started looking for Dave to pull in.  About a minute later, Dave pulled up and I mentioned this to Steve - so we got out, I thanked him and he jumped in the driver's seat.  I unlocked the front door and just as I was stepping in, heard a loud crunch noise!  Our driving instructor backed into our neighbors parked car and dented the driver side door in!!!!!!  I don't know who was more mortified, Steve, or Dave and I!   
Due to the fact that we were so close to our twelve month mark, we wanted to make sure Dave got signed up to take the Practical driving test ASAP as he drives to work everyday and absolutely needed to be legally certified.  Unfortunately, when you sign up, it takes four weeks to get a driving test time.  Luckily, there was a cancellation at the driving center for Friday, November 4th!  
Because we're technically learner drivers, Dave had to put the 'L' plates on our car when he took the driving test!  Hilarious!  Below is a picture of him right after he passed (check out the beard!)!  He only had one minor driving fault for not checking his mirror when he turned!  (You can have up to 15 minor faults to pass).
I still felt like I needed some practice - Dave drives a lot more than I do here and I wanted to make sure I was ready.  Dave and I went driving around the neighborhood, I worked on my maneuvers and just my confidence in general.  It's not like I haven't been driving for half my life - this was easy, right?!  Well, I still worried, but signed up for the Practical driving test November 10th and of course worried for no reason because I passed with flying colors!  I only had to minor driving errors - both for signaling to turn prematurely!  Here's a pic of me right after I passed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home